Summary: When something or someone we value is threatened, it will steal away any inner peace we may have. But Jesus invites us into a new life where we see, through faith, that he is holding all things in his hands and the good that he gives us will never be taken away from us. Therefore, through faith we have peace.
Big Idea: We have peace when we value the good things that Jesus gives to us and trust that they will never be taken away from us.
Intro: The King and his road
A.The king built the road because he loved his people and he wanted them to _______________
B.To encourage more people to use the road, the king invited volunteers to build a _______________ every 15 miles along the road.
A.Bert’s tower and inn
- Bert built an extra story on his tower for extravagant _______________ _______________ for him and his family.
- Because Bert used extra materials for his tower, his inn ended up being a drafty _______________
- Bert made the inn into a _______________-_______________ location.
B.Bert’s meeting with the king
- Bert said to the king, ““I do what I do because I need to take care of myself and my family. I know that I am on my _______________ in this world. I cannot _______________ you to take care of me.”
- The king said to Bert, “You cannot see that I love you because you do not _______________ that I love you. And because you do not _______________ that you are loved then you fail to love _______________,
A.Brett stepped away from his _______________, his position and his inheritance and volunteered to be a building and innkeeper for the king.
B.Brett’s tower and inn
- Brett made sure that both the tower and the inn were well-_______________
- He served his _____________ well.
C.Brett’s meeting with the king
- Brett said to the king, “I serve you in this way because I _______________ you. And what is more, I _______________ that you love me.
- “Oh, how my soul _______________ my Lord. How my spirit _______________ in my King and Saviour! For he took notice of his lowly _______________, and I realize that I am truly _______________.”
A.Through Jesus, God offers to everyone life on the _______________ _______________ of salvation, forgiveness and eternal life which he gives us through Jesus. When we humble ourselves and turn our hearts away from power, privilege and possessions to live on the solid ground that God provides, then we have _______________, because the things that Jesus gives us can never be taken away from us.
B.However, when we take what God gives us and use it to gather _______________, privilege and possessions for ourselves, then we will never have peace. We will always be _______________, because the things that we gather and build up for ourselves can always be taken away from us.
A.The key to peace is living on the solid ground of God’s _______________.
B.Application: What self-built structures in your life need to be torn down so you can live on the solid ground of God’s love?